I couldn't find quinoa at the big grocery store probably because I had no idea where to look and refused to ask someone. I stopped at the fancy organic healthy store on my walk home and found multiple kinds of quinoa. I picked up a bag and started walking to the register when I turned it over and realized it was $14.99! For 12 ounces! Ugh! I ran back and found the cheapest bag I could find, because I'm cheap! All of them were organic and in about the same size package. Why was one $4.99 and the other $14.99!
For an easy, quick meal, I whipped up this quinoa stir fry from Self Magazine:
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups snow peas
- Various stir fry veggies. I used a pre-cut mix from the store with chinese cabbage, onions, peppers, mushrooms and broccoli.
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sriracha to taste
- Cook quinoa to package directions
- Heat oil in skillet and add chicken breasts. Add in garlic and ginger. Saute until chicken is cooked. put chicken aside and keep warm.
- Add in veggies and soy sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add in chicken and sriracha.
- Serve over quinoa
One thing I'd like to know is how you rinse quinoa. I have a strainer that I thought would work great but the quinoa poured right through it! About an 1/8 of it ended up in the sink. Good thing it wasn't the $14.99 bag!