While playing with my new iPad on this 12 hour car ride, I downloaded the Epicurious app. I scrolled through recipes to try and devise my menu plan for the next week. Linguine with grilled clams! I had never grilled clams before but was intrigued by the idea. I was all ready to go fire up the grill when I decided to read the recipe reviews....all agreed that grilling the clams caused a loss of clam juice which is crucial in the sauce. Boo. Clams will stay on the stove. It was still delicious!
- 1/2 pound turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Clams, scrubbed and cleaned (50 was probably too many, but I don't think you can have too many clams!)
- 3/4 whole wheat linguine
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, red pepper and lemon juice.
- Add clams to pan and cover. Steam until all clams have opened up. Discard those that don't.
- Toss pasta with clams and garlic. Season with black pepper to taste.