I'm always willing to try a new mac and cheese recipe with the hopes that I can make it a tad bit healthier. Ok, I admit. This isn't the world's healthiest mac and cheese. But I did my best to make it as healthy as possible. After all, comfort food can't be super healthy, or else it won't be comforting.
I came across this Picky Palate recipe while playing around on Pinterest.
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups low fat/low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups maple smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 cups part skim mozzerella
- 2 cups shredded BBQ chicken (cooked chicken with BBQ sauce)
- 1 cup maple smoked cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in flour and pepper, cooking 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth, until smooth. Increase heat and stir until liquids come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add in first 5 cups of cheese and pasta.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, topping with chicken and additional cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese bubbles.